market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomatoes go from shortage to glut

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomatoes go from shortage to glut
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 21:00:54 EDT

Well we use to do a market that we had home gardeners bring in tomatoes for $1.00 a beer flat, about 10 to 15 #.  I use to go buy everything he had and moved them over to my stand and sold them for 2.00 a pound.  He declined to sell to me again.  It did help for one market but he never got the point and keep selling so cheap that it was stupid.  Between the other vendor's and our market management we usually get them out of our market over a period of time.  They usually can't come close to the same quality and the local fresh product that the customers are use to buying,

Phil from stormy Iowa