market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomatoes go from shortage to glut

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pamela Crowe <sustainableharvestsc AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomatoes go from shortage to glut
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:38:30 -0400

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com> wrote:

"boy your prices are too high!"

Jay---

Come up with a name that distinguishes your tomatoes from the others. Some people push the name heirloom or gourmet or a myriad of nuance variations to do this. Others combat by offering tastes of the quality to the person who is saying prices are high, etc.

Try different avenues until people start talking amongst themselves about the differences between these wholesale tomatoes and yours.

One farmer I know got into marketing blushed tomatoes and pushing how these people could ripen these themselves. His fear was being left with overripe tomatoes, so he sold based on his fears.

I think it is smarter to sell based on your positives, it just makes you feel better so you present well.

Pam
SC