market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Eating PI, etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Keith Morris <earthsurfing AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Eating PI, etc.
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 07:28:11 -0700 (PDT)

 HI all,

We, too have some fun with PI at our farm...  I have not been brave enough to eat it- (have also heard tea)- but can vouch that its possibly to develop 'immunity' or 'tolerance'.  It seems early each spring (bare-root tree planting time, before its visible) I inevitably end up digging in its roots.  I get it from its sap- but then will be totally immune all summer.

The lore around here is that the old-timers who worked clearing power lines would grab the first sprig in early spring and smash it onto their wrists.  They'd get a bad rash, and then never get it for another year.

As far as goats, etc. I've heard the toxin can pass through milk to those who are very sensitive to it.

Best,
Keith

Keith Morris
Prospect Rock Permaculture
Design and Education for Ecological Culture
Whole Farm Services * Whole Systems Design *
Presently running Educational Programs through:
UVM * Sterling College * Yestermorrow Design Build School *
Paul Smiths College * Burlington Permaculture *

P.O. Box 426
Jeffersonville, VT 05464
earthsurfing AT yahoo.com
(802) 734-1129
PRP_Logo.jpg
"If we do not do the impossible, we shall be faced with the unthinkable."
Murray Bookchin (1921-2006)

A couple decades back he was living in the Ozark hills and
getting poison ivy rashes real bad.  He came across an elderly
mountain lady who explained how the locals took care of it.

You "eat" some tiny, young poison ivy leaves when they first
bud out in the spring.

It acts like an immunization.

This brave dude tried it..... and it worked!!

He never gets poison ivy rashes after working around it,
even using a weed eater to mow down a thick patch.

Steve Diver
Have you tried it Steve? I've heard the same remedy before but never was
brave enough to try it. I think I'll try cold water first.

Bill