market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Credit card terminals at market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Debbie Moore <caverdjmoore AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Credit card terminals at market
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 02:07:00 +0000

> Does anyone have any experience with taking credit/debit cards at markets?

I take credit cards but not debit cards and require a $10 minimum purchase to
do so.

> We are considering doing this, based on customer feedback and research
> showing pretty good sales increases. It requires setting up a merchant
> account (which we have had before) and the right wireless equipment to do
> it. IF you do take cards at your markets, what brand/model equipment do you
> use?

My bank tried to talk me into purchasing/leasing equipment but I firmly put
my foot down and requested the old fashioned carbonless reciepts that I write
out. I happen to do a couple festivals a year in an area where there isn't
even cell service, and they reluctantly ordered a "knuckle-buster" for me,
but I don't even use that any more since I have trouble with the rollers
lining up to imprint my name.

It IS cumbersome, but more to the point, it is cheap since I don't have to
pay for the carbonless receipts. Credit card sales have helped increase
sales; bank charges $10/month, credit card charges 3%. I can shut off service
for any month I do not anticipate sales but last year was able to get into
some winter markets so did not need to use that option. There may be a small
fee to start back up again - that may be something to consider if you do not
do winter markets.

DebM
zone 5