market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] recommended salad dryers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "stonecirclefarm tds.net" <stonecirclefarm AT tds.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] recommended salad dryers
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 12:21:19 -0500

> If greens go loose into the washing machine, do you spend a lot of
> time peeling individual pieces of lettuce off the edge of the barrel?

Growers using washing machines to spin dry greens around here (WI) us
mesh bags. Three to four mesh bags to even the load and no picking
lettuce off the sides of the machine. Kudos to the mention of
cleaning and sanitizing your washing machine before use and regularly
during the season. My recommendation would be to find one with a
stainless steel tub. This is likely to be more expensive but it is
more likely to meet food safety standards and regulations.

(Dated) Source for mesh bags (contact information could have changed
since this was published):

Cady Industries
P.O. Box 2087
Memphis, TN 38101