market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Thrips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Thrips
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 16:51:22 -0500

We have had extensive experience with thrips because we grow cut flowers. Western flower thrips are a real problem. If you are following an organic program, your chemical control options are limited. One of the very most effective controls is Conserve (spinosad). However, you must follow the label directions about how often to use. With thrips in particular you must rotate the 'mode of action' of the control you use so that you don't build up a population that is resistant to the control. We rotate between azatin, conserve, and pyganic. Btw, you cannot effectively exclude thrips with row cover. Also, since the damage done by thrips to green onions is cosmetic, we don't treat them unless we have thrips elsewhere. If you google "control thrips site:.edu" you'll find Extension based information on the mode of action part.

Kim
Barking Cat Farm
Texas