market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Buzz kill! Is this 'bee Armageddon'?----serious problem for all.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Buzz kill! Is this 'bee Armageddon'?----serious problem for all.
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 03:58:11 -0400

Mike

How many did you loose and why?

I lost nearly 1/3 of my 30 colonies.  One as a direct result of my own actions and all the rest to winter freezing...a natural event that happens to "wild" colonies and kept, still with a good 30 to 50 pounds of honey in stores.  Sometimes it simply gets too cold for some colonies to make it.  We had a bad winter.  Normal losses are always between 10 and 20% and have been since modern beekeeping allowed humans to keep bees alive to harvest the product of the hive.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855