market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Buzz kill! Is this 'bee Armageddon'?----serious problem for all.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Rock <mikerock AT mhtc.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Buzz kill! Is this 'bee Armageddon'?----serious problem for all.
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:56:12 -0500

All 22 of them. Lots of honey, no bees found nose deep in the cells. Just GONE. Eerie. The two 'hot' hives, at the ends of the row, were the last to go. We had a touch of Africa earlier, they come up the Mississippi on barges and get around up to Mpls. Winter seems to kill them, thankfully. But the hybrids they form can become nasty the next year. They have been up here since the late '90's, thanks to the river traffic.

It is getting late and we are still awaiting the packages from Georgia, hopefully today or tomorrow.

Mike

Richard Stewart wrote:
Mike

How many did you loose and why?

I lost nearly 1/3 of my 30 colonies. One as a direct result of my own actions and all
the rest to winter freezing...a natural event that happens to "wild" colonies
and kept, still with a good 30 to 50 pounds of honey in stores. Sometimes it simply
gets too cold for some colonies to make it. We had a bad winter. Normal losses are
always between 10 and 20% and have been since modern beekeeping allowed humans to keep
bees alive to harvest the product of the hive.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855