market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] posting a question: backpack sprayer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Two Onion Farm <farmer AT twoonionfarm.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] posting a question: backpack sprayer
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 05:56:33 -0500

We are very fond of the Shurflo electric battery powered sprayer sold by Gemplers: http://www.gemplers.com/product/109987/SHURflo-Electric-Backpack-Sprayer. We used a hand pump Solo sprayer for many years and the Shurflo is much much less tiring because you don't need to pump constantly to maintain a good pressure. We have used it for 2 seasons and have not had any major mechanical problems. The battery holds a charge well and one battery is enough for most sessions but we do have a second battery so we can swap the first one out if need be.

We raise about 5 acres of mixed vegetables and spray our Brassicas with Bt or Entrust and eggplant with Entrust. I find this is manageable with the backpack sprayer but barely so.

Chris

Chris & Juli McGuire
Two Onion Farm
www.twoonionfarm.com
19638 Cottage Inn Road
Belmont, WI 53510
(608) 762-5335
farmer AT twoonionfarm.com

  • Re: [Market-farming] posting a question: backpack sprayer, Two Onion Farm, 04/27/2010