market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Lettuce questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "BarbaraJ" <jbmckillip AT mesanetworks.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Lettuce questions
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:13:08 -0600

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 10:34 AM

Richard,

We have tried most of the ones below and here in SCKY, by mid-June, the
only one that stays sweet and gets to a nice market size is Jericho.
Each year, we try others (hope springs eternal!), but it is, so far, so
only one that is worth the space, fertility and labor to grow. We'd
like a few more, but mostly, customers are just happy to get lettuce!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

If any of you all have grown these before, help requested on best for
summer heat in 80s: Drunken Woman, Green (and Red) Deer tongue,
Jericho, Mascara, Nevada, New Red Fire, Red Sails, Revolution, Salad
Bowl, Simpson Elite, Slobolt, Summertime, Tropicana, Winter Density.
Which in this last group have worked for summer lettuce when temps
have warmed? No one at my market has lettuce past mid summer, and my
customers buy (from elsewhere) and eat salads all summer long. I
rather not be competing then with 25 cent cucumbers and squash and
$1/lb potatoes and beans.
Richard
SW VA