market-farming - [Market-farming] assisting African farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <liz AT marketfarmshoptalk.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] assisting African farmers
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:18:30 -0400

Hey everyone,

I was recently hired by the Peace Corps to do some consulting with their volunteers and African farmers via the web. One of the means to do this is through a new website, called Africa Rural Connect, http://arc.peacecorpsconnect.org/.  The site holds a contest twice a year each one 4 months long, and Africans from all walks of life and Peace Corps volunteers (anyone else is welcome too) submit ideas in the form of informal business plans to aid farmers and rural Africans in creating new income streams.

95% of the ideas are agricultural.  The ideas range from the most basic (fruit plants planted under trees, watered by juice cans strung up in trees to conserve moisture) to pretty innovative (rural internet kiosks that use satellites and solar energy so farmers can interact with one another and improve their skills just like we do).  Some of the ideas are heartbreaking, one group wishes to start a chicken project to enable HIV outcasts to earn a living, and they need security to protect their little operation!

The project hinges on the comments left on the ideas, comments to help build the ideas into stronger proposals to improve the idea's chances of winning the contest.  There are several prizes with the largest being $12,000 to enable the winning idea to be put into action.

I'm telling you all this because I know these farmers are desperate for ideas and any help that can be given to them.  Many times a photo will be posted of a group of them anxiously gathered around a computer and reading.  If you have the time, and can help with any of the ideas, or even come up with new ideas of your own, I KNOW it would be greatly appreciated.  The contest centers in those areas where English is spoken and well understood so language isn't an issue.  This is a busy time for everyone, but if you can spare a few minutes every now and then, it would help!

Liz

  • [Market-farming] assisting African farmers, Liz Pike, 04/20/2010