market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] shading lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] shading lettuce
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:21:02 -0400

Either sew a "ribbon" along the edges and put grommets in, then bungee it to
the frame, or use the clips they make for shade cloth.
http://tnfarmsupply.com/clip-it-shade-cloth-clips-p-347.html?currency=USD

Or you could probably thread twine or something through the top edge.

What I haven't figured out yet is how to keep the bottom (which would
probably be just below table high) looking nice - not curling. That is where
I think a big reinforcing ribbon (industrial gograin or somesuch) would be
good. Maybe weights tied in. I'd have to get a better look/feel for the
shade cloth. It seems pretty stretchy, and I don't really want it
stretching.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY
Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com
Become a Fan on Facebook

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and
geese

Wendell Berry

Moore Lappe