market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] shading lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "waldenfarm" <waldenfarm AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] shading lettuce
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 17:44:28 -0400

I've tried shade and found all the plants get "leggy". I do grow lettuce all summer, though. The combo of plant physiology applications and just plain dumb luck got me there. Lettuce will bolt from stress (too much wilting, too little water, etc.) or by being stimulated by long day length. I found that the Batvian lettuces I grew in the spring (now called "crispheads") were not day-length sensitive. They are tender and wilt fast around here. So, I overhead water around noon to cool their tissues and avoid wilting. Nevada type is the best seller.

Plants will wilt in heat even if there is plenty of water in the soil. They lose water faster through their pores than they can absorb. For you plant physiologists out there- I learned that plants are really long-night sensitive. I told the plant phys., "To a farmer, they're the same thing.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm
SE TN