market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] grass vs. grain / Vetting Local Producers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] grass vs. grain / Vetting Local Producers
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:03:47 -0400

As someone who consults extensively in the organic dairy sector (as well as
raising "family cows"), the grain vs. grass debate interests me greatly.
Defining grain is key, and the idea that a sprouted grain is not "grain" is
a brand new twist for me -- it really exposes the truth that most grains are
the seeds of grasses (with the obvious exception of soybeans, peas, etc.).
So if a herd grazes a mature stand of pasture and consumes the seed heads of
the plants growing there, are they eating grass or grain? Both, in actual
fact -- it's just that those particular plants have not been selected to
produce large seeds like the species we raise for grain. So what if we plant
a "cocktail crop" of grasses, legumes, and grains and allow our animals to
graze that? Are they grass-fed, or grain-fed?

It gets even more interesting when we consider how the buffalo (arguably the
ultimate North American ruminant) roamed the ancient grasslands. Contrary to
popular belief/perception, they didn't migrate south in the winter to feed
on grass and then head north again as the grass grew in the spring; they
actually stayed south in the summer and headed north in the winter to escape
the cool, wet rains and live in the cold, dry air of the north, feeding on
the high-fiber stalks and high-energy seeds of the mature prairie sticking
above the snow cover.

I'm certainly not arguing in favour of grain-based diets for ruminants, and
definitely not feedlot-style systems; there are multiple benefits to a
grass-based diet, both for the animals and the people eating them. But as
others have pointed out, it's not a black and white scenario -- natural
systems rarely are, and that's what keeps life interesting!

Cheers,
Rob (who should be in the field on this glorious day, but blew a tractor
tire yesterday while cultivating)

Rob Wallbridge
Songberry Organic Farm
24 Sixth Line, Bristol, QC J0X 1G0
email: rob AT songberry.ca
web: www.songberry.ca
facebook: become a fan of "Songberry Organic Farm"