market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Liability Insurance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Oakridge Farms <oakridgeberries AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Liability Insurance
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 21:04:23 -0500

We lease part of the land where we farm and also have a farmstand and pyo operation on this leased property.  The owner (its a company) requires us to have a minimum $1,000,000 liability policy and they are also obviously insured.  It sounds high, but the premiums are really quite reasonable.  Workman's compensation in our state is based on payroll and again can be really quite reasonable.  All I can say is, it is so worth it!  The simplist thing could put you out of business :(

Bottom line, talk to an insurance agent that deals with farm policies as every state is different.  Any time you have the public on your property or working for you, you need to be insured.

We have had very few instances with people being on the property after business hours, etc. but it has happened and is a challenge living off site.  Consider motion lights (on the farm stand or any other structure) and a gate.  Our county sherrif's deparment has been quite helpful and we have established a good relationship with them.

--
Jodi Leslie
Oakridge Farms