market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] to wash or not to wash greens (Owsley lucy)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] to wash or not to wash greens (Owsley lucy)
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 10:20:27 -0700 (PDT)

> Folks: I read about a chef who has his own garden and recommends NOT
> washing lettuce/salad greens -- says you can't get them fully dry and it's
> less handling/bruising.
>

> I wash all my greens and it does make a big difference.
.....the chef you read is wrong about this, but I find chefs are often
> wrong about the handling of whole fresh foods.
> Lucy Goodman
> Boulder Belt Eco-Farm

So what can I say here? I was a chef who has been a market farmer/CSA for
the last decade...I find it a personal mission to try to help All
understand the handling of whole fresh foods.
I always wash all my greens for all the same reasons as Lucy. I spin dry
and find the product lasts up to 4 weeks as opposed to 10 days. But...it
all depends on how the greens are handled...washing under less than
sanitary conditions can possibly produce an inferior product.

Sora in North Idaho where it might as well be Tibet on hopes
of high speed internet. Thanks to all for thinking of us
slow netters.

  • Re: [Market-farming] to wash or not to wash greens (Owsley lucy), sora, 04/03/2010