market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Solexx Greenhouse Covering

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Solexx Greenhouse Covering
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 10:43:41 -0500

Looks like this could be a solution for the endwalls, but I usually want better than 70-75% light transmission for the entire house.
 I don't like the text on this website which seems to be misinforming and playing on fear.....most poly is rated for a minimum of 4-5 years and I have seen it last much longer than that through necessity or neglect.  (I'm not recommending pushing the life of the poly...just that I have lived with that more often than not and so far, despite all my personal paranoia, the only poly failures I've dealt with have been mechanical failures caused by human goofiness-drive a trailer into the house, bonfire fallout, poor construction etc.)
Also, I have yet to have "burning" or "shadowing" problems with greenhouse poly that weren't a fault of plant choice or placement-human error again.

I used to be a "glass house snob" because I learned that first a long time ago.  I am now a fan of the double poly inflatable as being the best compromise for cost,  versatility, and maintenance.
(And where I live, a poly house does not bring a visit from the Zoning Man and his little mean dog, the Building Inspector and his little drooling dog, the Tax Assessor.)   The coatings for light diffusion etc are really wonderful. I do always have a supply of poly patch tape and a back-up inflation fan.
Shawnee, zone 5