market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] max-min thermometer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] max-min thermometer
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 12:19:18 -0600

  "a couple of old mercury ones that still, basically, work fine; but over the years a bit of the mercury has gotten out of place and won't go back where it belongs (yes, I've tried shaking them down) so the sides no longer read quite the same and I'm not sure which is correct."

OOO a antique mercury thermometer!  I had a curmudgeonly chemistry professor who said that HE'D been working with mercury for 40 years but now it was too dangerous for STUDENTS, so we'd have to measure temperature with our thumbs. (!)  "I've worked with so much mercury," he growled, "that when it's cold outside I get shorter and when it's hot, I'm 6 and half feet tall."  I was scared to death of this fellow and nearly fell out of my desk laughing.
Shawnee, zone 5