market-farming - [Market-farming] Seeder & bed shaper

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler AT lrec.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Seeder & bed shaper
  • Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:41:00 -0600

We're needing something to do a better job at planting cover crops than what we did last year which was to scatter seed by hand and harrow it in. We got uneven (and not very good) germination. Our local implement dealer has this one on his lot: http://www.landpride.com/products/prod_ps/prod_aps.html

In the coming year, we're going to need to plant a succession of cover crops on a 7 acre plot that we're readying for an orchard as well as improving hay pasture on about 40 other acres (overseeding).
Has anyone used used the Land Pride APS seeder for overseeding existing turf? Do the angled spike rollers like the Land Pride model has do a good enough job in as opposed to the disc openers on more expensive no-till drills? Would anyone like to recommend a different model of seeder and/or cover crop application method?

The Land Pride on our dealer's lot is $5800. I think it's the 6 ft. model.
While I'm at it, bed shaper recommendations are welcome, too.
--Leslie