market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Glyphosate Resistance in Weeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "William H Shoemaker" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Glyphosate Resistance in Weeds
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 13:46:42 -0600

Amine formulation is less prone to volatilization, but it can, and will
under certain circumstances. And commercial applicators will likely use
ester formulations to "ensure the kill!" Weather conditions factor heavily
into volatilization, leading to distance of travel, concentration of
volatiles, etc.

If you read the label for a phenoxy herbicide, there is a warning about
drift potential. But the bottom line is that anyone who applies these
herbicides is liable if damage occurs off-target. The problem is proving
that the specific applicator was responsible for the specific damage. This
is compounded by the difficulty in testing plant tissue for these
herbicides, which are essentially plant hormones. Does that kind of drift
violate organic certification requirements? Are crops exposed to such drift
safe for consumers? It could be a very vexing problem for market farmers in
Big Ag country.

Bill

I have firsthand experience with someone's volitization onto our tomatoes
and grapes, but, it was the 'ester' formulation. I thought (and could
easily be wrong) that the 'amine' did not have the volitization problem.

Tom