market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fw: Glyphosate Resistance in Weeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fw: Glyphosate Resistance in Weeds
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:25:58 -0600

Had a conventional, Big Ag, Round-up Ready farmer tell me about his observations of the germination rates of the ragweeds, etc.  He had figured out that over time, his chemical use was selecting for weeds that germinated and remained low, then set seed, around his pesticide application schedule.  He was alarmed at the fast increase in the weed species despite being fully armed with the best Monsanto/Chevron weaponry, but with several thousand acres of GMO corn/soybeans and buildings crammed with mortgaged machinery, kids in college, he didn't know how to stop.
Shawnee, zone 5