market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] starting onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] starting onions
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:29:19 -0600

Get those alliums off the heat mat at once!  Ok, sorry I blew up. (A heat mat is wasted on alliums) You don't say what variety you are growing and this is important.  Short day...long day?  When are you planning to have an onion crop?  Onions are not difficult, but attention to detail is significant in the beginning.
 And I can't think of any vegetable seedling that I would water by misting. (Yes, I know that you read that advice, but overhead misting is really only useful in very specific circumstances and onions are not one them) (Actually, when I come to think about it....I only mist-water orchids, some cuttings, maybe the odd graft occasionally.  Never garden seedlings. Ever.)
Shawnee, zone 5, and snow falling tonight