market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] starting onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] starting onions
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 18:05:55 -0500

On Feb 21, 2010, at 4:33 PM, Dakota Harvest Lamb wrote:

This is my first try at starting onions from seeds. They have sprouted. Should I turn off my heating mat? I am keeping the tops of flats misted and they are getting about 12 hours of light. Anything else I should be doing?

Bob

South Dakota

With 60 plus inches of snow on the ground.

I don't even start mine on heat mats. Onions don't need a lot of heat. Remember they can be planted out in the spring as soon as the soil is workable, and while there's still significant chance of temperatures in the 20's (though I wouldn't let them freeze in the seedling flats, if you can help it).

(It occurs to me: I do start them in the kitchen; which, while cooler than many people's kitchens, especially at night, might run warmer than your seed starting area. It's not likely to get cooler than the mid50's, and is usually somewhere in the upper half of the 60's during the day in February; warmer if we're cooking a lot.)