market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse plastic
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 21:04:38 -0500

What Shawnee said: Take to the bank!

Also:

If you are needing plastic, jump quick, hundreds of acres of poly are being shipped to Haite
and that will tighten the market for some time.

The major greenhouse suppliers in New Englland are Griffin and Milikowski, the older catalogs I
have show they both sell AT Plastics, other names I have used areKlerks,  Visqueen, and Armin.
AFAICF Monsanto is no longer doing plastic, or are doing it under another name, their "Cloud Nine" was the first of the light difusing.  ("I Hate Monsanto" fanatics beware.)

Of the better manufacturers there are construction grade (less than a year) and other grades up to
"4 year" which carry a (pro rated) warrenty mostly dealing with discolor or darkening. 4 year poly generally is taken off after 4 years due to light transmission, not product weakening, in low light crops and
cattle housing we plann on 4 year poly lasting 10 years. The skirt poly on my Harnois house
is the original Tufflite made and installed in 1992, the only hole being made by me with a backhoe moving snow.

Coleman is/was using all 4mil single layer poly in order to get the most light possible.

MAsteveINE
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER." - Friar Tuck