market-farming - [Market-farming] more snow load, locust bracing...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Daniel Botkin" <dbotkin AT valinet.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] more snow load, locust bracing...
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 07:59:17 -0500

From: "BarbaraJ" <jbmckillip AT mesanetworks.net>
Daniel,
You experiences could really help some of us newer tunnel growers. I have
the round shaped hoops, I'd love to see any pictures you have of bracing
that you might recommend. Do you have a website with photos? For instance,
I have a regular Farm-Tek high tunnel, 26x48x12. I have no further bracing
other than the end walls that we built. I'm concerned about those heavy,
wet, spring snows. I'm listening to any advice you might have.... Barb

Hello Barb and market farming list:

First of all I'm just another amateur hoophouse grower with only one tunnel -- for only 3.5 years now... ;) Second, I never entirely trust company specs and recommendations on much of anything, but instead compulsively apply INTUITION to questions like... How much snow load is safe on my tunnel? How much snow/ice/rain might fall? What reasonable insurance can I give my hoophouse(s) without endless extra labor?

As soon as my recycled (freegan) 65x26 quonset style hoophouse (standard galvanized steel bows, 4' spacing) was assembled and covered, I knew it'd be a huge target for snow and ice accumulation. (This is, after all New England, not Virginia!) First winter I installed 14', stout, five-inch diameter, black locust (rot resistent) poles which I dug 1-2' down into the center bed and wedged tightly (permanently) against the center purlin (spine) at eight foot intervals. This has given me a lot of security (and sleep), although, like I said, I still go out with a home-crafted extension "rake" and remove excess snow at timely intervals. But now I can usually wait till dawn! It seems like dense wet snow, followed by rain and then by freezing temps are the most hazardous to HH's. I also worry about the glacial action of compacted snow and ice slicing the poly as it skids downward, although I've yet to see this happen. And then there's accumulated pileup snow on the sides, as mentioned, slowly crushing the HH inward. Ugh...

The locust bracing poles (at eight feet apart) have also served as a great foundation to build a stout five foot high platform ("skydeck") which has proven multi-useful as ample bench space for trays and flats as well as walking access to manage and harvest cherry tomatoes, climing beans, etc on the ceiling. There are several pics of our hoophouse set up here...
http://www.laughingdogfarm.com/2008review.htm
This customized interior has been amazing for us but might not be realistic for commercial growers with many hoophouses.

Thanks to all and good luck!
Daniel Botkin
www.laughingdogfarm.com