market-farming - [Market-farming] Snow Load

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Harriet Allen <hattie_allen AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Snow Load
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 15:38:10 -0800 (PST)

My Hoophouse survived the snow in Delaware.  We were not mentioned much, but we had a true blizzard and I had more than 20 inches of snow with the first 10 inches very heavy and very very wet.

The first night, I swept off the hoophouse as best I could when it had about 5 or 6 inches on it of wet stuff.  I'm glad I did that.  I used my car lights to see what I was doing.  It was somewhat surreal!  Then during the day the next day, the wind kept a lot of it off the hoophouse, but my neighbor's young teenager and I swept it off another two times.  The snow on the sides is very high, even now, but we got the weight off the top.  The work was worth it.  I have my hoops at six foot spacing as who would think Zone 7 would have this much snow!  I also anchored my hoops ALL in concrete and I'm glad I did that.  Our ground is sandy and gets soft and is not particularly frozen either at this point.

So far so good, but another storm is upon us and I'll be outside again.  I got a cheap extension pole from Lowe's (12ft.) and a soft brush--like a push broom.  Works great, but I'm a little short and hard to reach the very top.  My teenage neighbor can reach...Thank goodness, he must have grown four inches since the summer.
Hattie Allen
Hattie's Garden
Lewes, DE 19958

  • [Market-farming] Snow Load, Harriet Allen, 02/09/2010