market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] European cucumbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] European cucumbers
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 18:49:21 -0500

At Stokes Seed they are under the heading of "European Greenhouse Cucumbers", the long guys that are shrink wraqpped on the supermarket. Since I grew them seriously there are now some that are smaller  and are packed 4 to a +- 10 ounce package. Seed for both is available at Stokes, Ten years ago Carmen was a favorite and I see they still have it. You are dealing with abour 50 cent each seeds.

If you want to go for that longer look their varieties are the way to go. You might find
"English Telegraph" which is an open pollinated and sometimes found in store seed racks If you want to try a super cucumber in the greenhouse I have been using it would
be "Sweet Success". More like regular cucumber shape but matures at 11-14 inches long

These are all Parthenocarpic, which simply means  need no pollination necessary, therefore seedless.Be aware that if they do get pollinated from another source  they will be not be seedless.. Also, these varieties will make all female blossoms, UNTIL (as my extension person says) they get pissed of about something and start making male flowers.  Keep a close watch and if they get dry, cold, dark, or whatever, you will need to pick out every male flower you can get to.

As with the greenhouse tomatoes the limiting factors here were (1) whitefly, and (2)
thanksgiving was about the end of sufficient daylight for the year.

MAsteveINE
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER." - Friar Tuck