market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Weed control advice?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: michelle rome <michelleann7 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Weed control advice?
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:28:52 -0800 (PST)

Am considering stale seed beds and/or heavy leaf mulch
> to control these weeds. Have no experience with stale seed
> beds. Am considering a flame weeder, but never have used
> one. Enjoy doing shallow cultivation with the wheeled
> hoe.

Hi I commend you on the fulltime effort on your farm. Many of us are trying
to get there. Some Ideas - if you have weeds from last year burn your field
off, if the ph is low- lime to your advantage - some weeds don't like
inreases in PH. Consider investing in some weed block for critical plants.
Get a jump on weeds by transplanting versus direct seeding.

Get the weeds when they are low and young.

Consider use of a spring cover crop. Maybe just in the rows you are planting.
Another idea I did last year- keep the rows wide enough that you can bushhog
between the rows with a small tractor with 4 ft bushhog or one of the little
walk behind bushhogs.

I am trying to use cover crops this year and optimize no till - just furrow a
place for seed (or transplants)in the rows.

Regards
Michelle HROMYak
Romy Farms
E&W SC