market-farming - [Market-farming] two weed control resources

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] two weed control resources
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 21:30:17 -0600

http://www.css.cornell.edu/weedeco/weeddatabase/index2.html    This website is a great compliment to ATTRA's information.  Cornell's resources rock.  (No, I'm not an alumni)

The book, "Weeds and What They Tell Us" is very helpful also in learning to read what the plant cover says about soils etc.  (author, Ehrenfried Pfeiffer)  I got my copy from Southern Seed Exposure for 8.00...Amazon was listing it at 40.00-for a 75 page pamphlet-yikes.  There is interesting ethnobotanical information here.

Sometimes, when you can catch your breathe after a Canadian Thistle battle, it is useful to consider why a certain plant colony becomes such a pest in certain locations.  Good science begins with accurate observation.  If I was a grad student, I would study how the dratted thistle does what it does....there's a really efficient energy storage system in those damn roots.
Shawnee, zone 5