market-farming - [Market-farming] Weed control advice?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Weed control advice?
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:58:07 -0500

Beginning our second year of farming as our primary income.  Thanks to this list, bought and read Wiswall's "Organic Farmer's Business Handbook".  Agree with him on two major points, that weed control is a major time (and inertia) sink, and that we need to focus on crops with highest return.  So more greens, tomatoes, root and cole crops.

Our geography limits many of our rows to 50-100 feet; turning a cultivating tractor would shorten these rows.  So would prefer hand-powered or hand-driven methods of weed control.

Used an Earthway wheeled hoe (oak handles) last year, adding this year a Glaser or Valley Oak for other family members.

Recently took delivery of a large dump truck load of shredded leaves, for mulching tomatoes and other upright crops.

Our problem:
Our farm came with a weed seed bank of gallansoga, pigweed and lambs quarters; and we didn't keep up with them in certain plots last year.
Am considering stale seed beds and/or heavy leaf mulch to control these weeds.  Have no experience with stale seed beds.  Am considering a flame weeder, but never have used one.  Enjoy doing shallow cultivation with the wheeled hoe.

Advice on flame weeders and other methods for the weeds above appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard Moyer
Castlewood, SW VA
Out to tap our maple trees