market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Leeks from seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Melissa Hatalsky" <mlhat65 AT midtel.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Leeks from seed
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:33:56 -0500

Hi Mac,

Yes that is exactly right. I give them a haircut from time to time as they grow. I have been growing King Richard from seed and they are really wonderful. I just harvested some today from the hoop house. They have such wonderful long shanks and the taste is superb.
Missy
<<We are starting leeks from seed for the first time this year. Should I cut the tops off at 2 or 3 " a couple of times to help the stems fatten?

Have American Flag up and Upton just emerging. We will also try King Richard this year, but those seeds just arrived. Thanks for the help, this is a great list!