market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] BT sweet corn. Get IPM Reports.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] BT sweet corn. Get IPM Reports.
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:32:04 -0600

Greetings,

I am curious, our major problems all come from moths, so we built the bug catcher that was in a book by Rodale press, called: Build It Better Yourself. We used two last summer in our garden and our tomato pin worm problem went away. The catchers are a light, inside a bright yellow box with a fan at the back and a stocking behind that to catch the moths that get sucked in. Right now, we are looking for DC powered fans, but finding the right ones is tricky. They have to be strong enough to not stop when the moths and occasional large grasshopper hits them.
Could something like this be used to protect corn? Sure would be nicer than all those chemicals, and it makes great chicken, fish or turkey feed.

Bright Blessings,
Kim

sunnfarm AT netscape.com wrote:
There is a period in early July in NJ when we don't get earworms but its
impossible to predict what day to seed corn in April or May to have the corn
mature between earworm flights. By August earworms are well established and
here for the peak of the market season. Even if you beat the earworm on one
planting you will get worms on the next. Regardless we also get corn borers
thorough the season since they over winter and do even more damage than
earworms. We get weekly IPM reports on moth activity which is very helpful in
predicting when to expect greater damage just find a monitoring site near you
and go by that or get a monitoring station on your property.
Without Bt corn we have to spray pesticides every three days without fail
from June to September then every two days until October. Ive done this every
summer for all my adult life so you can see what a relief Bt corn can be for
growers like myself... Bob.