market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Certified Organic Sweet Potato slip source

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sisters of the Soil <2soilsisters AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Certified Organic Sweet Potato slip source
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:55:03 -0700

I'm with Rivka.  I think "certified" on those sites refers to disease free, not organic.  In fact, I got a wild hair and emailed them all the other day to check.  Can't recall which off the top of my head, but two have already indicated that they do not provide certified organic slips.

We looked high and low for certified organic sweet potato sources last season, emailing many non-certified organic growers to inquire.  We found a small genetic preservationist operation, Sandhill Preservation Center in Iowa that has some pretty helpful growing information but limited amounts, http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/pages/sweetpotato_catalog.html  The other we found was Mapple in Canada, already suggested by Etienne- they do ship to the US, by the way, and told us they have for the past 14 years.

Doreen
Sisters of the Soil, Boise Idaho