market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bt sweet corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bt sweet corn
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:19:20 -0600

It would appear so. Over the years as we’ve built the soil, we have less and less insect pressure on our crops. We’re pretty small scale I guess. I don’t know how it would be on a large operation. We do have a conventional farmer across the road on half our farm. The years he plants corn, we don’t.

Marie in Missouri

Thanks, so you believe I can over time, build ferility so corn can withstand worms. What about all the major corn growers around me, this is Indiana, and millions of acres of corn, thier pest dont stay home.

josh

I tell my customers if they find a worm in the corn that tells them the corn
is good. If I ever buy corn from some guy in a pickup parked in town, I
always look for ears that have worms. We have found that the better our soil
becomes, the fewer ear worms we find in the corn.

Marie in Missouri