market-farming - [Market-farming] Was: Seeding peas in trays

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Was: Seeding peas in trays
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:15:55 -0500

We've ordered extra Super Sugar Snap pea seeds, as we routinely sold out at market last year.

Have been thinking about when to plant; here in SW VA/NE TN have done so on St. Patrick's day for years.

In order to get a pea crop to market earlier (as early as late April) have considered planting them earlier, perhaps even using row cover until they can reach the trellis.

Our soils typically do not freeze here, so I can work it beside my trellises whenever.

As opposed to growing in gutters, any of you tried tricks to hasten pea germination, such as:
--Presprouting the seeds just before planting (similar to Alison W. and summer spinach)
--Or covering the seeds with boards or other material (row cover?) in order to warm the soil.
--Shaping the bed south for extra soil warmth.

Is it more germination that is aided by greenhouse in the gutters, or early growth (that first few inches).  We don't have a greenhouse set up yet, on the list for this year.  So what can I do on site, beneath the trellises to get peas to market earlier?

Ironically, some locals around here don't work soil and plant any garden until late May (well after last frost), so a sweet spot for pea sales last year was July, well after most growers had taken their vines out.

Richard Moyer
Castlewood, VA
Out to dig more carrots and parsnips, before the next cold wave.