market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Was: Seeding peas in trays

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Was: Seeding peas in trays
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:37:39 -0500

On Jan 27, 2010, at 7:45 AM, Allan.Balliett wrote:

What about varieties of peas? Not necessarily for transplalnting, but
that you have success in the garden and at market with?

Richard mentioned Super Sugar Snap.

What else are people using? (and, are you organic?)

Thanks

-Allan in WV where he never has much luck with the snow pea seeds
from the hardware store

Shell peas: Coral or Premium for early, for main crop Montana Marvel (Fisher's Seeds), Mayfair (hard to find; some years Fedco has it).

Snow peas: Snowbird or Blizzard for early, Oregon Giant for main season.

Snap peas: Sugar Ann for early; Cascadia or Sugar Lode for main crop.

None of the above need a heavy duty trellis (one of my criteria, as I don't want to build major trellis work every year), but they will all benefit from some trellising, especially in a wet year when getting knocked down into the mud isn't good for them.

Much as I love my hardware store, I never buy seeds there.