market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bt sweet corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bt sweet corn
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:40:56 -0600

Personally, I think it always has to be the farmers' decision whether or not to grow a GMO crop. I would not want to eat it - but that is MY decision.  However, I do think that when you sell it to the consumer, you need to label it as BT corn and be ready to explain what that means in layman's terms.  I have seen farmers who label it as "unsprayed", which it probably is, but which the consumer translates as "organic", which it emphatically is not.  As long as the consumer is informed that it is a genetically modified corn, which it why it has no worms, they can decide whether or not to buy it.  Otherwise, I think it is mis-leading your customer.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm