market-farming - [Market-farming] Seeding peas in trays

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Seeding peas in trays
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:53:35 -0500

Hello list,

Last Friday, I attended a CSA farmer conference sponsored by Equiterre,
up here in Québec. It was excellent, very energizing to the aspiring
grower that I am.

Someone mentioned that she does snow and snap peas seedling in multicell
trays. She transplant at the radicule stage, when the plant poke no
more than a quarter inch from the soil. Apparently, that gains her two
weeks in precocity, and she does not suffer spotty germination (and as
such, gets better yeld). I find the idea intriguing, and I will try it
in my home garden this year, to see how well it works and how much labor
it takes.

Does anybody else do that? I always have been under the impression that
peas and beans would suffer from being transplanted, but apparently it
is not the case when the seedling is young enough.

Cheers,

Etienne