market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Charcoal Production - Was: Loss of Soil Carbon After Tilling

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Allan.Balliett" <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Charcoal Production - Was: Loss of Soil Carbon After Tilling
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:45:43 -0500

Richard - Sorry to be so slow to respond. I've lost a lot of interest in bio-char in the past year, so I haven't been tracking it as closely as I should. Just the same, in the past two years, every lead I've had for bulk char at a reasonable price has never materialized. on thing 'appears' to be clear in the studies I've read or heard about in recent months is that not all char is equal in producing results with vegetables production. If you are open to hearing really bad news about char, check out what Dr Will Brinton has to say at Woodsend lab (I think you can google it with that info)

Over the years I have had a few samples sent to me but the hysteria around char led every one of those suppliers to raise their prices to unaffordable before I could buy from them.

Now my interest in charcoal is pretty much limited to finding a reasonably priced supply for my chicken feed.

But keep me posted! I sure like everything I've read about terra preta!!

-Allan in WV