market-farming - [Market-farming] Deer fencing/ dogs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Curtis Millsap <cmillsap1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Deer fencing/ dogs
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 05:21:52 -0800 (PST)

We have had excellent results with dogs.  Right now we have 1 dog, a collie/great pyrenees mix, who is people friendly, but a great defender of the territory.  Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be interested in rabbits, but other than that, he chases away (perhaps the earlier poster uses a better term in charging, as he never chases beyond the edge of the property) deer, varmints, etc.  We have a lot of deer in the neighborhood, as we are 20 acres surrounded by 5 acre suburbs, but we have little if any deer damage.  We also have a couple hundred chickens, and as long as they sleep in the coop, he is very effective at defending them as well.   I'm thinking about getting him a buddy; I've noticed that they tend to work better in pairs.  One caveat, if you are bothered by dogs barking in the middle of the night, you will not like guard dogs.  I just lay in bed feeling good that he is out there chasing away any thing that is trying to eat my poultry or crops.   This year we are leasing 10 acres next door which has no perimeter fence, and it will be interesting to see how we do there; if he can expand his range accordingly without wandering...  Any tips for teaching boundaries will be appreciated.
Curtis

Curtis and Sarah Millsap
Millsap Farm
Springfield MO
www.millsapfarms.com

  • [Market-farming] Deer fencing/ dogs, Curtis Millsap, 01/22/2010