market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cost to lease land

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Hugh + Tuuli Cartmill <orufarm AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cost to lease land
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:01:12 +0200

Hi Deb,

Why don't you find out how many available blocks of land there are in the area and categorise them in bad, OK and good groups. Then approach a few owners in the bad category and make low (or zero $) offers and see the  response; do the same with some "OK" blocks and then you will have a fair idea what you can expect to pay for your "good" blocks. Just an idea!

Hugh,
Estonia, Europe.

> Thanks for all the help!
>

> What I'm hearing is that there's no easy answer. From the links and suggestions you all made, it sounds like anything from FREE to $1000 /acre/year could be considered reasonable! Holy cow, that's quite a range. I guess I'm going to start somewhere in the middle and see what happens. I did talk to one land owner who thought $50/acre wasn't enough, so maybe I'll start above that.
>

> If more folks have insight please don't hesitate to weigh in.
>

> Thank you so much. I love this group.
>

> Deb

Windows Live Hotmail: Your friends can get your Facebook updates, right from HotmailĀ®.