market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Guinea fowl in the Garden?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Guinea fowl in the Garden?
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:09:13 -0600

Over the early part of the winter - we usually have asparagus starting to come up by early April and counting back 120 days would be November. Maybe late fall would be a better characterization...once it gets below 70 or so, I feel like it is winter !  And, we haven't done it every year.  I think it has been two or three years and the beetle population is still much smaller than it was.  Probably need to consider that in late fall this year.  It wasn't intentional the first time.  We were just moving layers over available grassy areas (yes, our asparagus is "grassy").  Then, noticed the huge spears, and the asparagus beetle problem was not nearly as bad.  Serendipity!

Alison