market-farming - [Market-farming] starting out with micro-greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Curtis Millsap <cmillsap1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] starting out with micro-greens
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 07:42:33 -0800 (PST)

Does anyone out there produce microgreens for restuarants or grocery stores?  We are looking at starting this, and I have a couple questions: What are most people using for growing mediums?  I've been told that Baby Blanket from Mumms is good stuff, but I don't understand if it's reuseable, and if so how, or if it can be composted, or what.  I'm also curious what kind of seed mixes people are having success with, and where is the best source of info for small scale commercial production of this type. I'd appreciate any info anyone has.
Thanks,
Curtis

Curtis and Sarah Millsap
Millsap Farm