market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Interplanting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sisters of the Soil <2soilsisters AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Interplanting
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 00:09:33 -0700

Hi Jay,

The only issue We've encountered with interplanting, especially with tomatoes is spacing. Tomatoes tend to overtake anything that is planted within a foot to 18" of them, so you have to make sure to allow enough space around your tomatoes. We tried planting basil with our tomato plants last year, and we got a couple of good harvests off the basil until the tomato plants got too big and then most of the basil died back before we could get enough of the tomato plants pruned back. They got away from us. Just something to keep in mind when planning your spacing.

Jenn