market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] organic asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "stonecirclefarm tds.net" <stonecirclefarm AT tds.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] organic asparagus
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 23:52:48 -0500

I have only a small patch of asparagus but as it is right next to my chicken coop, I let the chickens in there after I stop picking and the asparagus has made tall ferns.  I allow them access until winter.  They scratch out basically all the weeds but leave the ferns alone.  They seem to really enjoy the asparagus area as it provides shade and protection.  I got this idea from a grower in Indiana who ran his turkeys in his asparagus patch.  He claimed the turkeys ate the asparagus beetles.  I've not had asparagus beetle issues so I cannot comment on that.  -John