market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] organic asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "breck" <bcarden AT breckinridgegroup.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] organic asparagus
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 00:01:49 -0400

Rachael,
I've got about the same number of row feet. I started mine from seed and
weeds are the reason more people don't grow it organicplus. I burn with a
weed eater, hoe, and hand pull. I mulched (old hay) last year and didn't
like all the mushy spears. Maybe straw would work better? The mushies got
better after removing and this year all was well. I have available tons of
woods chips that are dumped of my property but have been hesitant to use
them also. I use Dutch clover between rows, but be careful seeding so you
don't get it in-row.

Anyone have any experience using weeding ducks and/or chickens after the
harvest for weeds and/or asparagus beetles?

Good luck,
Farmer Breck
Breck Carden
Carden’s Garden