market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] organic asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] organic asparagus
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 21:55:54 -0400

Yes, no mulch and we weed by hand. We have a workshares group that helps with this. Free labor in return for produce.

Not as much as you but enough that it gets out of control from time to time. We set up paths in between rows to mow. We use a mower with now thrower and it just mulches so you avoid spraying it all over the asparagus.

We dug our trenches down till we hit gravel (about 18" give or take then backfilled with composted manure that was pretty much weed free. The back filling was slow, over a long period, which allowed us to do a really good job weeding anything that made it into the trenches. Now they are are weed free and just a nice hairy mass ferns. We complete the backfilling (we add an inch or two every three or four weeks). before frost.

Its takes some time, but the results are sexy.

Richard Stewart
rstewart AT zoomtown.com