market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Transition to Organic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Transition to Organic
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:32:16 -0400

Depends how bad the weed are.  If you have a lot of thick stemmed woody weeds it will be more difficult.  A bush hog works pretty well but I've found it doesn't always get the job done on the big stuff, it chops them down but it doesn't chop them up enough.  You might consider using a moldboard plow to turn the trash under as that will help.  Its a hassle disking it down but it will help compost the weeds better.  I wouldn't use one long term but its probably warranted in your case and I had to do that myself though I use a chisel plow now.  You can get old moldboard plows pretty cheap at auctions as they aren't used much anymore.  Its better to mow down the weeds this fall if you can, let them dry out and deteriorate and then disk them .  Even in the winter is good as the weeds will be frozen and brittle.  The best and fastest way is to use a flail mower instead of a bush hog if you can get it but they are expensive.  You can get trash rakes, I've heard they are inexpensive and have thought about looking into them.  You could rake it to the side and compost it to spread later if you have too much to incorporate with the methods you have at your disposal,  More work though.  Big seeded stuff like corn can be planted with some trash, especially if you can get a no till planter somewhere.  Cover crops are a good idea but clover can be difficult to grow at times, I planted some last year and it didn't come up.  Rye might be harder to get worked in than the weeds and you need to plow it under alt least a month in advance since it will inhibit growth of plants when its incorporated.  I use soybeans as a cover crop and it works pretty well.  Some weeds will still grow but it cuts down the numbers considerably, of course it takes warmer weather.  Field peas are also an option and will add nitrogen if you need it.  I'm planning to plant it early in the spring to keep weeds down till I plant the area with sweet corn.  You can plant if for fall if you want.  I might not plant the peas this coming year as I already have too much nitrogen now, which is part of my weed problem.  Corn likes a lot of nitrogen though and competes with weeds better than most smaller crops, You might be in the same boat on that count if it was chemical farmed, they use a LOT of nitrogen which is one of the reasons they have to spray so much.  I plant field peas in mid march or so but Michigan might be a bit later as its colder there.  You can also plant a spring rye and let it winter kill so it will be decayed a bit before you incorporate it also  Sudan Grass will choke out weeds pretty well also. Don't use it for feed if it gets frost on it though as its toxic then although its fine before that.  There are lots of options but sometimes having too many can confuse you  If you haven't checked out the ATTRA site they have organic options there you might consider, especially about cover crops

Wyatt Jones
The Inner Moon
Jamestown Ohio

Need cash? Click to get a cash advance.