market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Transition to Organic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT verizon.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Transition to Organic
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:33:00 -0400

Check you do not have a plow pan. If you do then subsoil the ground before planting any green manure. Otherwise surface tillage is fine to get GM crop going ie heavy disc one way then broadcast seed then disc in a different direction. If you are broadcasting seed as opposed to drilling then I would broadcast half the seed going one way then half another at 45 deg to that direction so you get better coverage.

Plant green manure crops that will winter kill [oats/peas/buckwheat/soy/annual ryegrass] in the areas designated for early spring crops. Your late ground [corn,sunflowers] could have rye/vetch/clover that would grow on in the spring. If you don’t have heavy equipment that will plow down a heavy spring growth then don’t get into rye/vetch. Either way do it soon. Good luck.

Dave

Dave Inglis

www.mahaiweharvest.com

Berkshire County,