market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tracking soil temps

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Robin Follette" <list AT seasonseatingsfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tracking soil temps
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:40:14 -0400

Zone really doesn't matter in summer growing.  Zones tell us the average annual coldest temp but nothing about frost dates, expected rain, average summer temps, etc.  I'm in 5 and sadly, still have snow in April some years.  We can start planting peas in late April or early May on a good year but corn has to wait until at least early June in my area.

Robin
Seasons Eatings Farm
Talmadge, Maine

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe